The Ruth and Harold Chenven Foundation gives annual awards of $1500 to individual artists living and working in the United States, and who are engaged in or planning a new craft or visual art project. Applicants should have a developed body of work. The Foundation does not accept film, video, performance art or music submissions (except as those media are integrated into a larger craft or visual art project).
An independent jury of three artists or curators will judge the submissions and make its recommendations to the Foundation Board of Directors for final approval. Between 4 and 7 awards are granted annually. Previous winners of a Foundation grant are not eligible for a second award.
Winning submissions will be retained by the Foundation and may be used by the Foundation for publicity purposes.
Announcement of Awards
2016 Grantees will be notified in October and their names will be posted on this website on or before the first week in November. Due to the large volume of applications, only the award recipients will receive individual notification. The Foundation regrets that it is unable to return application materials.
2016 Application Instructions
YOUR APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS:
- Artist Statement: One page (maximum 75 words, PDF format) of information about yourself and your work. This page must contain your full name, mailing address, email address, and – if you have one – your website address.
- CV: A curriculum vitae (maximum two (2) pages, PDF format), which includes your full name.
- Project Description: One page (maximum 100 words, PDF format) describing the project for which you are seeking an award. The Project Description must include the amount of funding you are requesting and how the funds will be used. However, a detailed budget for your project is not required. This page must include your full name.
- Image List: One page (PDF format) inventory list of your .jpg images. The list must include the following: title of work, medium, dimensions, and date completed. On the same page, following the list, also include a single, brief description of how the collective images relate to your overall body of work or the project for which you are seeking an award. Include your full name.
- Images: Five (5) images of your work, as 300 dpi .jpg files, sized at 5×7 inches. Each .jpg file must be named with the title of the work. Images of work created before 2013 will not be considered. Please submit images that best represent your current work, or the work for which you are seeking an award.
- Submit all material on a CD, which is to contain two (2) folders. Label your CD with your name, address and contact information.
In the first folder, include materials 1, 2, 3 and 4. Label the folder with your first initial, underscore, last name, i.e. Jane Smith as J_Smith. In the second folder, include your .jpeg images. Label the folder with your first initial, underscore, last name, and “images.” i.e. Jane Smith as J_Smith_Images.
- Please ensure that you have followed all instructions carefully. Incomplete applications or applications that do not adhere to the instructions will be disqualified. Do not send any additional materials, as these will not be considered by the judges.
- Mail completed application to:
Ruth and Harold Chenven Foundation
P.O. Box 1027
New York, NY 10040
Applications will be accepted beginning May 15th, and must be postmarked NO LATER THAN July 15th. If you have questions about the application process, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.